Sunday 28 November 2021

Nooo-vember!

 This month even starts with a negative syllable – it never really had a chance with all its undesirable connotations ! We now feel the days becoming cooler and shorter. Some places have already had snowfalls and Jack Frost has begun to make his presence felt. We have had our share of wind and rain, though have been spared the storms that have been raging elsewhere. Leaves are changing, some trees are already bare. One neighbour likes this aspect of the changing season: she says she can now see what we’re doing. :o

Not being out and about so much leaves us to our own devices inside. I have thematically grouped photo files and the final task is to reduce them – but, drastically! I find that so hard. I also pushed myself to make some time for sketching, an activity which always tends to be put on the back-burner. Actually managed to do several cards in water colour – well you gotta start somewhere!                                  

 Lugging countless documents to countless different administrative offices finally paid off: I am now the proud possessor of an ID card and a passport, both of which vouch for me being of Hellenic nationality, and thus restore me once more into the European Community fold. I am, of course, delighted and I think Z is quietly proud of what really is a joint achievement.                                            

Our big event this month – momentous, even – was the arrival on Sunday 14th of Jenny and Mark’s baby, Alanna Lismore Bull. Her lovely name in Gaelic means beauty and serenity, while we say that  

’the child that is born on the Sabbath day

Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.’

What with that, and the family she has been born into, that little lass has really lucked out.

 Below is a celebratory plant given to me by a sweet friend to mark my becoming Greek.                                               

For all these lovely positive aspects, I rename this month. Let it be known as … Yay-vember!

No comments:

Post a Comment