Monday 31 January 2022

Burns' Bridges

 I have always been a fan of Robert Burns for as long as I can remember and like to celebrate his day is some way. I have even made a wee attempt at sketching his likeness.



This year, instead of rushing into the kitchen to assemble favourite dishes, the last week of January found me reminiscing over past related celebrations and associations. Events when good food and drink, grand company and the craic all combine to form traditional tapestries that transport you through the mists of time.

 One memory that remains vivid is of when I was in the then Tarbert Secondary School was preparing to sit the exams of The Burns’ Federation. This was an organization inaugurated in 1885 in Kilmarnock by Burns’ appreciators and its aim were to encourage and arrange competitions to stimulate the teaching and studying of Scottish literature, history, art, music and language.

The first poem of his that I learned was John Anderson My Jo, John. Composed in 1789, it is interesting in that it is written from a female perspective rather than that of the bawdy bard himself!   It was to become a well-known love-song, sweet sand poignant in its simplicity.


I learned this in in the class of my well-loved teacher, Johnny Macmillan, a celebrated local gentleman, who put us through our paces in preparation for the Federation exams.  The certificate below was one I was awarded many a long day ago for my knowledge of Scottish literature.  It is one I particularly treasure since it bears my name in his handwriting!

 


Recently, to mark the day, I posted about my fond memories on Facebook. I was impressed by responses from non-Scots who were touched by his writing and I was delighted to be contacted by Mr. Macmillan’s daughter, thanking me for my post.

He can still commune with and conjoin people: Burns – the Bard and bridge-builder!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment